In our increasingly complex world, Amend’s School Area Road Safety Assessments and Improvements (SARSAI) stood out to our jury for the simplicity of its evidence-based approach to reversing the escalating crisis of road traffic deaths and injuries.
It is highly replicable, in a short time, expanding from 2 high-risk school areas in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, to more than 50 high-risk school areas in 9 countries.
And it has had an outsized impact on the communities where it has been adopted. By designing from the angle of the child pedestrian, SARSAI benefits the safety and security of all.
Learn more about the 2018-2019 cycle:
- Download the summary report
- Read about projects on TheCityFix
- Explore research findings:
- "Catalysing Urban Transformation Through Women's Empowerment in Cooperative Waste Management: The SWaCH Initiative in Pune, India," Mauricio Estrada, Madeleine Galvin, Anne Maassen, Kathrin Hörschelmann, Local Environment
- "What Does Urban Transformation Look Like? Findings from a Global Prize Competition," Anne Maassen, Madeleine Galvin, Sustainability
- "Connecting Formal and Informal Spaces: A Long-Term and Multi-Level View of Medellín’s Metrocable," Madeleine Galvin, Anne Maassen, Urban Transformations